What is the Liebster Award?
The Liebster Award is an online award given by bloggers to bloggers and has been around since 2011. This is a recognition of their contribution to the blogging community, in this case, the travel community. It is simply passed on and helps promote and support fellow bloggers. This is not only a great way to recognise a blogger, but it is motivational as well.
These types of awards help a lot in terms of exposure when you’re a newbie blogger, plus it’s always a pleasure to receive some much needed recognition in the early stages of blogging. It’s also a super occasion for you, our lovely readers, to get to know us a little better!
The Liebster Award Rules:
- Thank the blogger who nominated you and provide a link to their blog
- Write a post to show your award
- Share who’s your favourite blogger/blog
- Tell 10 random facts about you
- Select 8-11 other bloggers you want to give this award to
- Comment on each blog and let them know you have nominated them and provide the link to the post you created
Click here to find out more about the Liebster Award rules.
Our favourite Blog / Blogger
Choosing favourites: our favourite country, food or craft beer, we just can’t choose. Nevertheless, we came up with this fellow blogger as one of our many “favourites” (we read a lot of blogs from a lot of bloggers ha).
Meet Steve from Back-Packer.org. We really love hiking. We did a lot of hikes in South America, Asia and New Zealand. Steve’s blog really helped us a lot in preparing for these hikes, as we mainly travel and experience stuff DIY style. He describes experiences and preparations very detailed, and he also has very extensive travel guides. Lots of tips and tricks for packing as well. His content has been extremely useful for us.
10 random facts about us:
SPOILER ALERT: some facts could be R-rated…
- Rice and Fries actually don’t match on a plate, yet in Peru, Bolivia and Brazil, we experienced they really like to mix them.
- We practically eat anything, though I’m not a cucumber fan, and Ms. Rice is not keen on cabbages (red ones!)
- Our non-travelling indoor cat keeps growing. Bubbles reached 6.5 kg, yet he still does not look fat ha.
- I’m quite good at any sport on snow/ice, while Ms. Rice well, she’s not (starts falling already looking at it 🙂 )
- We’re real TV show / movie binge watchers (currently: The Blacklist). We even bought a projector at home when we’re not on the road.
- We probably won’t make it, but we plan to visit every country on our small globe (then conquer them all muhahah).
- We still don’t mind explaining where the name Rice and Fries Adventures comes from, not even after the 1000th time…
- Even though she’s from China, Ms.Rice even loves chocolate more than me.
- We don’t like to celebrate special events (think Valentine and stuff), as every day should be special together. 🙂
- Ms. Rice had the privilege to do a no. 2 as a 1.5y old on the floor of the Great Hall of the People at Tiananmen, Beijing. How about that!
Our answers to Janine’s questions
1. What’s on your bucket list?
Making our own beer. Not just for the fun of it. But to enjoy some craftsmanship, making some bottles and taking them on trips to share with other people on the way. That’s the true spirit of enjoying artisanal beer.
2. What country would you never go back to and why?
We visited over 40 countries in 5 continents, yet we never had any bad feeling about a country. Sometimes, you could experience the feeling of expectations (maybe set too high) not being met, but that’s minor.
3. What is the funniest thing that happened to you on your travels?
We did our Salar de Uyuni 3 day trip in Bolivia together with a French-Polish couple. Almost 7 weeks later after traveling through several countries, we met them again in laid back Punta del Diablo in Uruguay. Pretty cool how things can turn out!
4. What is the story behind the name of your blog?
We wrote a post about this, but in a nutshell: I was looking for something funny, something with a twist that still linked to both of us. We like our adventures, I’m from Belgium (we are deadly serious about our fries) and Ms. Rice is you guessed right, from China. Rice meets Fries.
5. What is the most memorable meal you have had on your travels?
We really love to eat and try out new stuff. Back in Uruguay, the owner of our hostel in Punta del Diablo did a huge Asado BBQ, it was all very simple food, but oh so delicious. Just thinking about that juicy meat… makes me feel craving for it while writing this.
6. Do you prefer cities or nature?
Even though we already visited a lot of cities, exploring the culture, museums, …, the last few years we tended to come more at peace during hikes in nature. We had a lot of hikes in South America, Asia and New Zealand, and boy, did we enjoy this. So yeah, nature.
7. What book(s) have you read that has inspired you to go and visit the place written about?
It’s not really a book about 1 place. As a child, I always read and reread my Great Book of World Maps. With all details about every country in the world, just reading and memorising places, mountain ranges, etc. I guess this one of my first inspirations for traveling.
8. What is the first thing you do, once you have settled in when you arrive at a new destination?
Go talk to local people, finding about cool places to visit, grab some food or drinks. Not the usual tourist spots, but where a local would hang out.
9. What is your favourite travel movie?
Into the wild. Choose what you want to do. Very inspiring and yes, extremely beautiful scenery.
10. What famous person, living or dead, would you like to go on holiday with and why?
Tough one. Maybe with Bear Grylls. I’m not really into extreme adventures during our travels, but with this guy, I would love to join him haha. Maybe I’ll learn some crazy survival trips for our next hikes.
- Lucile Deprez from Be On The Horizon
- Leouel from Eleo’s Travels
- Sarah from Travel with Sarah
- Mei and Kerstin from Travel with Mei and Kerstin
- Wiebke from Miss Abroad
- Tom from The Travelling Tom
- Ha Truong from Expatolife
- Claire from Tales of a Backpacker
Question for our nominees:
- What’s the most adventurous thing you’ve done while travelling?
- What country is on the top of your bucket list?
- What’s the one thing you always take with you on a trip?
- What is one of your most embarrassing moments?
- Why did you start a blog?
- If you could choose any country in the world to live, where would it be and why?
- What’s the best travel deal you’ve scored when planning a trip?
- What has been the most challenging aspect of starting your blog so far?
- What would you do with a millions bucks (yeah, USD)?
- What’s your ultimate dream?
We never thought our blog would be up for a nomination or an award (let alone so soon!).
Have you been nominated for the award? If so, leave me a link to your post! We’d love to read about it.
If you haven’t been nominated yet, what do you think of the award? Let us know your comments.
Cheers, Ms. Rice and Mr. Fries